Saturday, July 26, 2014

Finally: Midwestern Mexican restaurant queso blanco.

Have you ever had a seemingly simple recipe that you just couldn't quite recreate? For me, this has been the thin, rich, buttery and creamy cheese sauce known as queso blanco at restaurants in some areas -- not so much out in the PNW, but frequently in the Midwest. 

Many attempts came close. But not quite. I'd all but given up. While back in Indiana last weekend, my dear friends Pat and Jon gifted me with a fantastic Mexican feast, including a yummy cheese dip. Inspired, it set me back on the path. 

I threw everything I had at it. And... success. Seriously, this is a dead ringer for the dip we enjoyed at Nuestro Mexico in Elletesville again and again and again. Meaurements are approximations. 

Creamy Queso Blanco - Midwestern style

Half pound white American cheese (I used Boars' Head)
1/4 cup milk 
1/3 cup Philly jalapeno cream cheese
1/4 cup Diarygold Mexican style sour cream
1/3 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt, pepper


It's thin but rich, doesn't set up too quickly, and tastes fantastic with freshly cooked tortillas from Tortilla Land. My God, I'm addicted to those things. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment