Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Boot Camp, Windows 7, and instant blue screen of death

I followed the simple installation/setup instructions for running Boot Camp and Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro. Initial install went fine, but after installing the Windows Support items from Apple (drivers to link function to the hardware), upon startup and display of the login screen one was greeted with the blue screen of death.

I was fearing a never ending waging of war on endless fronts, but luckily, a little Google searching brought me to THE issue that resolved it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1235977

See #3. It's simple, but worth posting again:
How to remove AppleHFS & AppleMNT Drivers:
  1. Start in Safe Mode (Hold F8 before the Windows loading screen)
  2. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
  3. Rename AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_
  4. Restart
  5. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
  6. Delete AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_
  7. In the Start Menu search box type "regedit" and press Enter
  8. In Regedit delete -
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppleHFS]
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppleMNT]
I'm happy to say I am humming along using my employer's Windows only capabilities without a hitch. Woo hoo.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the help. Is working for me - 1 hour into booting the system and things are steady (touchwood)

    ReplyDelete