Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Technological quandry.

There was a day when having the latest gadget was THE most important thing. It piqued my interest, established a position amongst my peers, early adoption placed me in a position to support and assist, and gave me a pleasure and joy that made the distribution of funds to acquire well worth it.

Thankfully, life's a little more diverse and complicated now, with a myriad of commitments, interests and desires that leave me conflicted in my heart, and scratching my head at an attempt to logically evaluate. (Every try to compare the three wireless carriers? Insanity.)


Decisions. At the crux of this issue is: just HOW do I use my smartphone? In light of the iPad acquisition, that's changed. In reality, my phone is a tool for txting more than calling (but that's still important as there is no land line); it's an mp3 player; it's a calendar and todo list manager most importantly.. Navigation and local information while on the go is second in importance. But I don't really run complex apps, play games, etc. As much as I WANT the new iPhone (cost $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB), or to move over to a DROID BIONIC ($299), might the best choice be to take a free replacement (w/ AT&T contract renewment, of course) of my current iPhone 3GS 32GB and call it good?

The cost of an upgrade or move will equal one, two or three good dive weekends in Washington. Or a pair of Grado headphones. An extra car payment. Most of a month's grocery budget. An extra bundle in savings. A little more cash under the mattress (no, we don't really keep it under a mattress). Hmmm.

My head tells me the best thing for me to do is stick with AT&T, take the replacement of my current phone and move on, placing that amount I would have, could have spent to a good cause.

My heart wants TOYS TOYS TOYS OMG NEW SHINY CLICKEY CLICKEY LOOKIT WHAT I GOT ISN'T IT SO COOL YOU DON'T HAVE ONE AREN'T YOU JEALOUS HA HA???!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment