Heavy components of solid glass thrill me. My first fusing projects were heavy stacks made with dams and bricks to hold 1-2" of glass together. Something about the weight, the heft. My fusing is always deliberate, stark and simple. I can't yet call myself an artist, but rather a studier of techniques; over time my own voice will emerge, so for now I'm satisfied to explore.
The molds come with a weight designation telling you how much glass to mound into it. As I measured out 126 grams of frit, it didn't look like enough to fill it. But, it did. I used Bullseye in Juniper Blue with a scattering of finer Emerald Green to give the resulting turtle a little speckled look. Pulling it all away from the edge to insure a nice flow into the far reaches of the mold, it's in the kiln for a simple firing program:
To 1000 at 500/hr;
AFAP to 1425, soak for 25;
AFAP (w/o vent) to 960, soak for 60;
Shut kiln off for cool down w/o vent.
Tune in tomorrow for, hopefully, the finished result!
Edit: the 25 minute soak at full fuse wasn't enough. So back up for another 30 minutes. We'll see! And the glass settled a huge amount. I'd put in about 10% more next time.