Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Low carb faux mashed potatoes: no way. Way!!


I've read no/low-carb freaks rave about using pureed cauliflower as an alternative for mashed potatoes.

The thought made me a little ill.

But, I endeavored to try it, in an attempt to find a lower carb side dish. I followed this recipe, and the results...

Damn surprising. Similar texture, similar taste. We were both rather surprised, pleasantly!

The only notes I would add to the recipe are these:
  • I cut the head of cauliflower into 8 pieces. "Small" was rather vague in the recipe.
  • The water was boiling, and I added the vegetable and reduced the head to med-hi, and boiled for an extra minute due to the time it took to get back up to boiling.
  • I added a bit over 1/8 tsp of Better Than Bullion Chicken.
  • The butter is added to the top; I put no butter in the recipe itself, but did add more salt/pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment