Thursday, February 26, 2009

Never buy taco seasoning again.

Taco seasoning is a distinct taste, and I admit for a long time I bought packets of it. Once, when I was packetless, I started with a base recipe found online and over time have tweaked it a bit. There's no reason to buy the packets, which contain seasoning but also a lot of chemical additives.

Amy's Taco Seasoning

2 Tbsp Penzey's Chili Con Carne powder
5 tsp paprika
4 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp corn starch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp organic sugar
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (more if you want it spicier)

Keep in a screw top jar, shake to mix, and use 2-3 Tbsp for seasoning one lb of ground beef.
I add this to ground beef that's been browned with onions; if you don't use onions, you can add 2 tsp onion salt instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment