Saturday, August 8, 2015

Canine travel safety

Traveling with dogs can be a handful. For years, we just threw them all in the back of whatever vehicle we had, and off we went.

With age comes more caution. Working in insurance begets more caution. Flirting around the edges of dog events suggests more caution. And, every Facebook group and mailing list shares horror story after horror story of everything from poodles embedded in steering wheels to dogs who survived horrific crashes, only to escape from the car and be struck on the road while emergency services worked to free the driver.

With plans to work more with Jackson and Solo -- together or separately -- I took a look at my canine car safety plans. Which was easy, because it was essentially ZILCH. "Load up, let's go!"

Immediately, a tough challenge was at hand: I have a 2006 VW Beetle. Not exactly known for copious and versatile cargo room. Bought new, the initial intent was to drive her until the wheels fell off. I maintain that intent.

After searching, reading, measuring, considering, etc. I came up with a solution that, while not perfect, is about as good as its going to get for me in this vehicle.

Two collapsible soft crates that fit perfectly -- they actually wedge -- between the back wall as it cuts away for the hatchback and the seats in front.

I'm going to take a "test ride" with them this afternoon. They are both crate trained, and I've had the crate out in the house for a few days and we play in/out with it a few times a day, so I don't anticipate any issues.

Untitled

It's not perfect, but it's better than two crazy dogs lose in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment