Wednesday, February 6, 2013

New amazing discovery!!

To say I'm addicted to coffee is not an accurate statement. Rather, my love is for coffee flavored milk-and-chocolate-water. (Additional flavoring is a plus... peppermint, raspberry, etc.) 
Starbucks' Venti White Chocolate Mocha. Dutch Brother's Quad Shot Mocha w/ peppermint. Or their Salted Caramel Mocha. A big kick in the ass of caffeine to get the day rolling, or to rev it up along the way. Rich, high fat, fructose bombs delivering a shocking amount of caffeine. 

Many times over the years I've attempted a home brewed solution to mediate the cost, the calories, and the time overhead this addiction demands. 

We've spent more money than I want to think of on home espresso machines. Surveyed different types of beans trying to match a desired flavor profile. Went to restaurant supply stores to get flavors and syrups. 

Nothing satisfied. The results were always lacking. Always, I went back to getting my "real coffee," and the tools of the most recently failed methodology were re-homed on Craigslist. 

A few years ago Scot discovered the Keurig, and found a happy medium for himself. Still, once or twice a week he still indulges in a "real coffee," which for him is a Dutch Bros large fat free sugar free caramel latte with an extra shot. I've tried various flavorings of coffee, but never found something that I WANTED to drink, frankly. Even with whole milk, flavored creamers, little hand held whisks for frothing milk, etc. 

Just. Wasn't. Working. 

While traveling with Ben and Val, an offhand comment was made about how good adding a scoop of chocolate cocoa mix to coffee was, as it added flavor and richness. 

Hmmmm. 

At home I brewed up a Van Houtte Raspberry Chocolate Truffle Coffee. Adding a heaping scoop of Nestle hot chocolate mix from the gigantic tub we take camping, and have probably had kicking around for about seven years, I stirred in anticipation. For good measure, I added a generous tablespoon of skinny white chocolate mocha creamer. Tentatively, I took a sip. 

THAT WAS IT! Oh, joy and revelations: for a quarter of the cost, well less a third of the calories, and one quarter of the caffeine  a breakfast drink I actually DESIRED was born. Works great with Green Mountain Coffee Mocha Nut Fudge, too. 

Watch out, Bed, Bath and Beyond, I'm coming for your K-cups tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment