Monday, June 11, 2012

Media fatigue update.

Today marks the end of my 30 days of Facebook-less-ness. To quickly summarize, it was very good; I'll likely continue it. I was, however, surprised to be reminded of how much OTHER stuff is driven by Facebook. Spotify? Can't do it (unless you create a device ID, and then put up with "CANNOT START SOCIAL" warnings all over the place; nor can you share songs w/ others). Comment on the Stateman Journal's articles? Can't do it -- it's run through Facebook comments.

A week or so ago I caved -- I HAD to have Spotify. So I re-upped, and then logged into Facebook just to reactivate it. For the entire 30 days I did not peek, read, look over someone's shoulder, etc. And I haven't "Facebooked" yet; the blog posts, tweets, and other things that have been posted in the last month are all done automatically through something ELSE.

I'm much less distracted. I DO feel a little disconnected, but it's helped me to understand and appreciate what has real value, and what is just fluff that will blow away with the simplest of breezes.

I did fail in my endeavor in that I meant to not use Twitter, too, but I did. I honestly had forgotten the list of things I said I wouldn't do, and that it contained Twitter. But how I use Twitter was never as problematic as Facebook, despite the two being intertwined.

So it is what it is. More will be written later. Maybe. Not sure. Who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment